Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hazen Graves

Are new Giving Voice-type choruses starting up?

#745 Reply

Karen K

The Vancouver Chorus begins operations in a few weeks.

#1287 Reply

Elva Roy

We are in the process of forming a chorus in Arlington, Texas. We have a venue (stand-alone building owned by the Pantego Lion’s Club), a Director, and a pianist, and hope to start rehearsals in September. We have volunteers from the University of Texas at Arlington standing by to help, as well as the Ambassadors For Aging Well.org (community group that I lead) and others. We are forming a Board and have experienced musicians volunteering who know where/how to acquire music w/o violating copyright, etc. Everyone is very excited and we are grateful to the Giving Voice Chorus for generously sharing all that you have learned. BTW, I heard about you from Judy van Norman in Houston who is further down the road with that chorus. Hers is called “Together in Song” and we are calling the one in Arlington “Musical Memory Singers.” Arlington is midway between Dallas and Fort Worth (15 minute drive from either city) and we hope to draw singers from nearby cities.

#1288 Reply

Karen Kenny

Congratulations, Elva! Keep us posted on your concerts and events. When you are ready, send us the web address of your chorus and we will include it in the listing of Choruses around the world. Stay in Touch,

Karen Kenny, Giving Voice Initiative, Board Member

#1487 Reply

Mary Ann Devig

We are getting ready to launch our choir in Grand Forks, ND on January 10, 2018.
    Your toolkit has been a valuable resource, thank you!
    We do not have a website at this time but am hoping to get one up and going by
    the first of the year!
    Thank you for all you are doing to help us!

#1950 Reply

Edie Elkjer

Elva, I saw the Giving Voice Chorus on CBS Sunday morning and have since located this website. I live in Austin TX and have a non-profit organization called Music Memories Austin. We lead sing-a-longs at numerous memory care centers and retirement homes in Austin accompanied with the history of each song to spark communication and sharing amongst the residents. My partner and I are very interested in starting a dementia choir. Would you mind sharing when you are actually starting your choir? We are interested in coming to Arlington to talk to you and possibly visit one of your rehearsals.

Thanks for responding. It takes a village to make this happen!

Edie Elkjer

#2393 Reply

William Pailen

All Primetimers is a new choir in Montgomery County, MD. Our rehearsals will begin in January on Thursday afternoons at the Inter-Faith Chapel in Leisure World in Silver Spring. Our leadership team consists of experienced directors, vocal coaches, accompanists and other support volunteers. We welcome participation by persons with dementia, caregivers and friends without regard to religious preference or affiliation.

#2394 Reply

Hazen Graves

Welcome to the fold, All Primetimers, and best of luck with your launch! You might want to check out the Giving Voice Learning Network group on Facebook. It’s good way to be in touch with similar choruses and exchange questions and ideas. Sing on!
    –Hazen Graves, Giving Voice volunteer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: New choruses?
Your information: